About the Access scheme
SCONUL Access is a reciprocal scheme which allows many university library users to borrow or use books and journals at other libraries which belong to the scheme. The scheme covers most of the university libraries in the UK and Ireland.
Who is eligible?
If you are:
- a member of staff (both academic and support staff) on an open or fixed term contract
- a postgraduate research student registered for a PhD, MPhil or similar qualification
- a part-time, distance learning and placement student
- or a full-time postgraduate
and your university or college is a member of the scheme, you may be able to borrow from other college or university libraries.
If you are
- a full-time undergraduate student
and your university or college is a member of the scheme, you may be able to use the resources of other college and university libraries for reference.
How to join
To join SCONUL Access and find out which libraries you can use, click here. You will need your Library or ID Card number from your home institution and and preferably your institutional email address to complete the application.
SCONUL Access Scheme Privacy Statement
SCONUL is committed to protecting your privacy. The data you’ve provided will be shared with your home institutions library in order for them to process your application and where appropriate SCONUL Access member institutions. We collect and share the following information:
- Contact details: Name and instutution email address;
- Library ID;
- Type of student;
- Institution you are studying at.
We will retain your details for three years after your submission form has been archived by your institution so that we, your home and the host institutions can:
- Answer any queries regarding your application should they arise;
- Monitor usage of the service.
Please note: SCONUL is not responsible for how your home library or the host institutions library collects, uses and shares your information. We encourage you to review their privacy statements.
If you wish to view our full privacy statement, please view it on our website or ask a member of SCONUL staff for a copy.